Crew’s Birth Story

It’s been quite a while since I have blogged last. I’m going to have to chalk it up to the fact that my pregnancy was not at all what I expected. I was sick almost the entire time. I think, if I remember correctly, I was throwing up until I was 30 weeks pregnant. I started every morning by waking up to bad nausea and not being able to move until I had taken my nausea pills and Michael bringing me food. Sometimes that would not be enough and I would roll over to throw up. Anyway I did not blog throughout the second and third trimester because I didn’t want to remember those times and have a lot of recorded complaining because honestly I was just happy to be pregnant! But the day he was born, that I do want to remember. So here we go back to blogging. On to the new best day of our lives…

So as most of my social media friends know, Michael and I went on our last solo date {for a while} on September 18. Michael surprised me with a romantic dinner on a permanently docked boat turned into a restaurant called The Frying Pan. He timed it perfectly so that we were eating as the sun was setting. After dinner we decided to walk along the water, walked a good portion of the High Line, and then walked to get dessert. We went to City Cakes to share one of their Killer Red Velvet Half Pound Cookies and Amorino to get my favorite gelato! After we got home I was exhausted. We had done a lot of walking {5.5 miles} and my feet were killing me. It was about 11:30pm, and Michael suggested we go to bed. I agreed but was determined to do 20 squats before we went to bed. I had never done this before, but a friend suggested to start doing them the last few weeks of pregnancy so I thought tonight was better than never! I had also made Michael try some foot pressure points on me a few days earlier. I wimped out after ten minutes. They are called pressure points for a reason! Anyway, I thought these were all good ideas in theory but would not put me in labor. Two days earlier my doctor told me that I was 1cm dilated and 70% effaced. I was super excited, but I had tons of friends and family who told me you could stay in that state for weeks! So with that long introduction, this is how it all happened.

September 19, 2015


I woke up to use the restroom. The minute after I got back into bed I realized I needed to use the restroom again. {Probably the most frustrating thing in pregnancy.} I debated with myself for about a minute and decided I was too tired to get up again, and I would just try to fall back asleep. Baby Boy had other plans. I felt myself leak a little in bed. I had a panic moment thinking did I really just wet the bed?! What is wrong with me?! Can I really not control myself anymore?? So I jumped out of bed to ran to the bathroom, but as soon as I jumped out of bed I leaked a little bit more. Now I just felt like a crazy person. I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t control myself. Then I got to the hallway and it all came rushing. I kinda started to cry and yelled for Michael. Thankfully Michael woke up immediately and rushed to my side. I told him I think my water broke. He started laughing and agreed. I think I was so tired that it made me scared because two seconds ago I just thought I couldn’t hold my own bladder anymore but really our child was coming whether we were ready or not! So I was still kind of crying and Michael just looks at me and says “Why are you scared? Our baby is coming! This is going to be the best day!” And he was so right. Even though my contractions hadn’t started I had to get to the hospital right away since I tested positive for Group B Strep I needed to be on penicillin for four hours before Baby McQuade made his appearance.

We then continued to put the last few things in our hospital bags, cleaned up my mess, and called an Uber. Our first Uber cancelled on us when he was a minute away. I started panic because there aren’t that many Ubers out at that time! We requested another driver and thankfully one came a few minutes later. By this point I started to feel some contractions, but it was barely anything.


Our Uber driver pulled up. I was so nervous he wouldn’t let us in the car because I was obviously very pregnant and obviously leaking. {I was carrying a towel for me to sit on.} When we got in the car the driver looks back and says “headed to the hospital?” and I timidly said yes. He was like “This is so exciting! I have four of my own kids! Has your water broke?” Again I timidly said yes. Thankfully this sweet man looked back and said, “Well we better get to the hospital! The baby could be coming any minute!” He also then preceded to ask if we wanted him to run all the red lights. I said no thinking of our safety, but he ignored me and used each red light as a stop sign. Thankfully it was 5am and barely anyone was out of the road.


We arrived at the hospital. Not going to lie Michael and I were both a little panicked at this point. All we had to compare what my labor would be like was what my mom’s were like. Her longest labor and delivery was three hours total. I was supposed to get four hours of penicillin so Crew wouldn’t be introduced to the Group B Strep. The desk receptionist told me to calm down, which only made me more flustered. Michael was trying not to be nervous but in the taxi he called contractions “constructions” and when the receptionist asked my name Michael said “Deanna Crespo”. It was pretty cute because he was trying to be brave for me 🙂


I was in a triage room hooked up to all the monitors. My contractions were pretty regular at this point. I was in pain but it wasn’t anything I couldn’t manage.


A resident came to check on me. She said that I was at 2 or 3 cm and 90% effaced. She said that I was going to be admitted because I had Group B Strep and I needed to start the penicillin. As soon as a room opened up in labor and delivery I would be transferred. She also warned me that everyone would be switching shifts at 7am so it might take a while. While waiting, my contractions were getting stronger and I was becoming less patient to be transferred. Michael was a hero and messaged my feet to get my mind off the pain.


Am angel nurse came to my rescue. She said she heard that I had been waiting to be transferred so she wanted to come get me before she left for the day. I was so surprised by her ability to look past her own needs {probably tired, hungry, etc.} after a 12 hour shift to come transfer me. I want to be more like that nurse. And now come to think of it, I want to be more like most of the nurses I came in contact with over the 60 hours I was in the hospital. Thank goodness for nurses.


The resident in triage had asked if I wanted an epidural. I said yes. The resident said I could get it whenever I want once in labor and delivery, so I decided no time better than the present. Half because I figured why not get rid of any pain I have right now and half because I was worried next time they checked me I would be too far along for them to still give me the epidural. Since I was now in labor and delivery, the resident anesthesiologist came in and gave it to me right away. They also finally hooked me up to the penicillin. Then the waiting game began. I was dying to know how I was progressing, but I had to wait five hours until they would check me again. While I waited I watched too much Netflix and Michael took a nap. I was so frustrated that I couldn’t sleep, but I was SO anxious. It was like Christmas Day on steroids. I couldn’t wait to not be pregnant and hold my baby boy in my arms.


The OB/GYN resident doctor came in to check my progress. I was only at 3cm and 90% effaced. The next thing out her mouth was that I was going to be put on the smallest dose of pitocin. Because my water had already broke they can’t keep checking me because every time they check me they are putting the baby and me at risk of infection. So they needed to speed up the process to lessen the chance.


I started to feel the contractions again and my back was killing me. Maybe it was back labor, maybe it was because I was uncomfortable laying down in a hospital bed for so long. The contractions started to hurt more and more which was confusing me since I hadn’t felt any pain since the doctors gave me the epidural. After about 30 minutes of feeling a lot of back labor and contractions, I called my nurse in to ask her what was going on. She said she wasn’t sure, so she had the doctor come to check me. The resident came in and told me I was dilated to 10 cm and 100% effaced! The only problem was that baby boy was still at a 0 position, and he needed to be at a -2. The resident got me all excited though and told me we were going to start pushing, but first I needed to learn how to push. So we did a few practice pushes. I had no clue what I was doing because I couldn’t feel the lower half of my body! I couldn’t tell if I was actually pushing! The resident decided baby boy needed to drop more before I start pushing, so she left me and sent the anesthesiologist in to give me more epidural that would numb my entire torso and hopefully push the baby down.


I couldn’t feel the contractions anymore after they gave me the extra dose of the epidural. I was getting antsy though because I didn’t realize they weren’t going to let me push for another two hours! And I was so ready to meet our baby! Plus I may have told Michael to call our families at 2:00pm to tell them that I was starting to push! Well the resident finally came back in at 4:00pm and said I could start pushing! So by 4:30pm the process had begun.


I couldn’t believe I was still pushing. It was the most frustrating thing I had ever done. The resident, nurse, and Michael just kept telling me to push harder, but I couldn’t feel anything so I had no idea if I was actually pushing or not. Or if I did do a good push then they would cheer me on and say do that again, but I had no idea what I did differently that time! I was having a hard time breathing and felt that I wasn’t getting enough air, so they put an oxygen mask on me. My back was in so much pain it was extremely distracting. And to top it off this is when the nausea came and I threw up three times bright green. To say the least, I was exhausted. I wanted it all to be over. And I started to beg Michael to give the go ahead for a C-Section, not that it was ever part of the plan. And even though no one would give in to my desire to do so, still to this day I really wish they had. {Maybe I wouldn’t feel that way if they had actually done one though.} And then relief came. At 5:53pm the resident said, “one last push!!” and for once she actually telling the truth.


Crew Michael McQuade was born. They immediately laid him on my stomach and I started bawling. It was the most beautiful, scared moment we’ve ever been a part of. I remember holding onto Crew and thinking I never wanted this moment to end. Michael was hugging me and I just kept repeating “I just love him so much”. The moment was perfect. Crew is perfect, perfect for our family. For the next hour or so we just stared at his handsome face. He is our angel that we prayed for, for so long, and the wait was definitely worth it.

It felt like I was never really pregnant as soon as I held Crew in my arms. And much to my surprise, after a week went by I had already forgotten the pain of labor and delivery. And life before Crew seemed so far away. Our family of three just feels right. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

image1 (2) image2 (2) image3 (2) image4 (2) image5 (2) image6 image7 image8 image9 image10 image11 image1 (3)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s